A well organized training period is about 1 to 2 hours hour.
The training will usually follow this general outline:
- Slowly and gently raise your heart rate.
- Limber your body with stretching.
- Raise your heart rate aerobically with basic techniques (punching, kicking, blocking) for at least 20 minutes.
- Condition your response ability by way of anaerobic controlled pre-arranged attack and defend scenarios.
- Improve your general karate form with the study of kata (formal exercise routines). If your skill level permits, free sparring.
- Strengthen and tone your muscle structure with calisthenics.
- Cool you down with gentle stretching.
Sometime during the session, there is an instructional period that will lecture and demonstrate a principle or technique to focus on.